Monday, January 2, 2012

Classic Double Challenge 2012

OK, so I wanted to challenge myself this year to read more.  I was blessed with a mom who instilled a love of reading in her kids.  She always took us to book stores and made sure we had something to read.  Because of her, I have always been an avid reader, however, the past few years I have really slacked off.  I'm gonna kick it into gear this year, and the best way I know how is to hold myself accountable.  If I post it publicly, I will do it!!!  So here is my first one - the Classic Double Challenge 2012.  I found this challenge roundabout through reading another blog - called The Book Whisperer.  She discussed challenges to read more this year, and I found it very inspiring, and it hit a note with me.  The Classic Double Challenge seemed really interesting, as I have wanted to go back and read more classics.  Adding the "double" to it is just a plus.


For the Classic Double Challenge, you read one older book (classic) and a newer book that relates to the older book in some way.  An example that the blog author  provided:  Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Jane by April Lindner. 


This Challenge also has 4 levels to choose from:
  • Small:  You read 2 related books (one classic & one related).
  • Medium:  You read 4 books (2 sets of related books).
  • Large:  You read 6 books (3 sets of related books).
  • Super Size:  You read 8 books (4 sets of related books).


I am going to start small with this one, as I want to attempt some of the other challenges as well.  I might come back to this one later and read more, but I am only going to commit to the Small challenge and read 2 related books.  The books I have selected for this challenge are:

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle - classic
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead - related double

I remember my sixth grade teacher Mrs. Greynolds reading the Madeleine L'Engle A Wrinkle in Time series to our class.  I loved these books. I cannot wait to reread A Wrinkle In Time and then tackle When You Reach Me.


The author to the blog & challenge creator has a wonderful list to choose from, you can find that here:  Classic Double Book List

If you would like to also take part in the Classic Double Challenge, or other challenges I found today, visit The Brain Lair blog post with a wonderful list.

1 comment:

  1. So excited you decided to join up! I hope you enjoy the challenge and get more reading done. The books you picked are a very good place to start. Looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...