Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Journals & Diaries

I love, love, love reading books that are in journal or diary format.  It does not matter to me if it is fiction or non-fiction.  It is just fun!  We get to experience the personal thoughts of an individual / character.  If find these more intimate, and you get a better feel for motivation in the story-line.  I love this extreme first-person point of view.  


Another plus for this format is how it is broken up.  Instead of chapters, you have dates or time periods.  Often times these sections are shorter than the typical chapter.  For myself, and my students, these shorter chapters make for better goal setting when reading.  You also get a better feel for the time period of the events!!
 
Not only is the book formatted by time period, but often it can be handwritten and/or include pictures, many of which are hand drawn.  This adds a fun element to the book.  I also find journal formats to be very encouraging to keep my own journal, as well as encouraging to my students  in getting them to write.  


One of the first Journal / Diary books that I ever read was Daddy Long Legs.  And, one one of my all time favorites is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.


I have found some lists of journals on Goodreads that I am going to check out:

1 comment:

  1. Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging! And the rest of that series! I love those books. Even though I know if I met Georgia in real life I wouldn't like her, it's so delightful being inside her head.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...