Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Yellow House by Patricia Falvey: Read-along Part Two

Welcome to our second read-along discussion of The Yellow House by Patricia Falvey. If you’re following our schedule, you should have read the first four sections of the book, and be finished with the section titled “Insurrection, 1919-1920.”  This post is a week late - family happens!!!!


**Spoiler alert: We will be discussing details of the book you might not want to hear about until you actually read it, so if you haven’t read those sections and don’t want to read any spoilers, you should skip this post.


Were you surprised by the turn the romantic storyline took?


I was very shocked and very dismayed by the change in the romantic turn of events.  I was so rooting for Owen, and still am.  I am hoping things will change yet again.  Something about James rubbed me wrong from the beginning of this section, and now I find rightfully so.  I am glad that Own keeps popping up though.


What do you think of James? Is his treatment of his family – all in the name of the cause – justified?


I absolutely dislike James.  I do not think that the cause is reason enough to treat family in the way he does.  From the point in which they first hooked up in the pile of flour sacks I had a sick feeling of what was to come.  Then when he went against her with the name of their child - OCH!- what a sleeze ball!!!  I thought he'd at least support her there - yeah right!! Now, he has taken her savings.  I had a bad feeling when she mentioned having an account that still had just her name on it! I just knew the "marriage" card would be pulled somewhere! It seems like the longer I read, the more I hate him!


What do you think of Eileen’s reaction to James’ final betrayal – the emptying of her savings account?


I can't say I am very surprised.  It is almost a mirror of her mother's reaction to the "final" act on her.  However, I think that Eileen will bounce back.  I don't think she will wither away.  I think some of her dad's O'Neil blood will kick in and she will stand tall and get her revenge. 


How do you think the author is handling the intricacies of the political situation?


I think that Falvey is doing an excellent job in portraying a balance of both sides of the situation.  With the views of James and his gang, then the resurfacing of Owen on the opposite side.  It is the intertwining of Eileen and her connection to both sides of the cause that create that balance - the blending of the two as it may.  I am learning quite a bit about this time in history.


I will be reading the book on the original schedule - even though I am behind.  I am going to get caught up tomorrow so that I can finish by the end of the week as we should.  I have found that I am really enjoying this relaxed read-along.  Thanks to the host for doing this.


For next week, we will read through page 238 in the hardcover edition, which includes these sections: “Truce, 1920-1921? and “Passion, 1921.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...