Saturday, March 31, 2012

Interview with Shanna Gekko Author of Skin Deep



Skin Deep By Shanna Gekko




Book Blurb:  Kai knows trouble has found him when a fiery pint-sized female shows up at his door, bringing news of gruesome animal sacrifices in the woods around Bandit Creek. She also brings a teasing scent that draws his attention and sends every protective instinct screaming for him to protect his mate.
Hazel is determined to stop the monster she’s been following for miles and she won’t let anything distract her from her mission. She teams up with Kai, but vows to keep a firm “no-touch” policy where the handsome Native is concerned. Her resolve doesn’t last long as the two are drawn together like lodestones, their every touch igniting a passion neither has faced before.
Only, the trail of ritual sacrifices points to a greater threat than either first realized. They are about to face Kai’s enemy ancestor, a yee naaldlooshii—skinwalker—who will stop at nothing to destroy everything around him.



Author Bio:


Shanna Gekko currently juggles writing with herding kids and pets, and a full-time job, among other commitments, and she truly doesn’t know how she does it. While she will read practically anything, her writing has strayed to the fantastic since she was in Grade 7. You can read some of her musings at www.talesfromtheashes.blogspot.com


Welcome, Shanna Gekko to So Simply Sara!  Thank you so much for stopping by!!!!!!!


If you could write with another author, who would it be? 


I would love to write with Sherrilyn Kenyon or Nalini Singh. I love their world building, their characters, and everything about their writing draws me in. I’m sure I could learn a lot from either author.


If you could become a character in any book (yours or another author), who would it be? Why? 


I would honestly pick my character Ashlin from my current work in progress. She’s a winged fey, so she has large white star dusted wings that she can hide by melting them into her back. She also has healing powers and the race of the winged fey can also speak telepathically as it’s easier to talk that way when they’re flying. I’d love to have these powers, actually almost any type of shape-shifting magical powers would be neat. Also, to belong to a different world where these things actually can happen, that would be pretty amazing.


What was your favorite book when you were child? 


I loved the Dragon Riders of Pern series by Anne McCaffery, and I absolutely loved the book the White Dragon. I wanted to be in that world so badly as a kid.


What is the best advice anyone has ever given you? 


Best writing advice that I heard came from a Mary Buckham workshop and it was to use action prompts instead of the “he said, she said.” I had always struggled with dialogue tags before but once that was pointed out it made writing dialogue a lot easier.


Is there something readers would be surprised to find out about you or your book Skin Deep? 


Skin Deep was the first time I have ever written “The End” and I wrote the whole thing in about 2-3 weeks, the fastest I have ever written anything. It was a great challenge for me because I finally had a deadline that I had to finish a story by, which is exactly what I needed as a kick in the butt. It was gruelling because I can only write after my kids are in bed, but a lot of fun.


What was your inspiration for Skin Deep? 


Part of the inspiration from Skin Deep came from my Calgary RWA chapter’s AGM. Someone made a few comments during a small workshop and all of a sudden we had the start of Bandit Creek. I also really wanted to write something about Skin Walkers. There aren’t as many books out there about this Native American legend, and the legends themselves mostly talk about evil Navaho witches that use blood magic to take on the skin of a coyote. This got me thinking about what would be able to stop this evil force. With that, Kai and his family tribe were born.


Do you have any books in the works right now? 


I have a book that’s kinda on hold right now (the one with the Ashlin character). I’ve started a Communications Degree online so that’s been eating up a lot of my writing time.


Anything else you’d like to share with readers? 


Just that I hope you enjoy Skin Deep and thanks so much for joining me here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...