Friday, March 23, 2012

Cobble Cavern by Erik Olsen

Cobble Cavern by Erik Olsen
Publisher:  Cedar Fort
Publication Date: April 10, 2012
ISBN: 9781462110094
Genre: YA/middle-grade adventure, fantasy


Summary:  What starts out to be a fun field trip to Ireland for Flin and his school debate team turns into a life changing adventure when their bus ends up in an earthquake. Flin and his teammates get swallowed deep into the earth and become trapped under the ocean inside a clear dome where they discover an unknown civilization. Now they must fight their way back to the surface if they ever want to see home again. Join Flin and his classmates on a journey of a lifetime in this thrilling adventure story.


My thoughts:  Cobble Cavern is a very fun, adventuresome book!  I feel that there is something to be found in the book for most middle grade students.  There is a field trip to Ireland, an earthquake, getting trapped underground - ultimately, under the ocean, various  underground creatures, and the search for a way to get out. 


The visual / sensory descriptions are amazing.  Erik Olsen did an excellent job in putting you right in the setting.  I could feel the earthquake and see what was happening, as it occurred.  The views of the ocean from underneath, how powerful.  My favorite view was of the momma and baby whale! I would love to experience that in real-life. The creepy creatures that Flin and his classmates encounter, WOW!  As Principal Vespar put it near the end "It's like a fairy tale down here." I couldn't put it better myself. 


I found Flin to be a very strong character.  He is not your typical boy, but not all that far off either.  He has a "different" family life, with a lot of history and heritage - that which is tied into the whole adventure.  He handles all the obstacles that he comes across quite casually, dealing with them as they come. The abilities he adopts are not much of a challenge to him - he learns to use them rather than fear them.   He tends to be a leader and helps others through it.  He is a quick thinker, and often saves the day.


My favorite characters are Fezzy, Heppel, and Inger.  I would love to stay in the cathedral with them. They see so sweet and welcoming.  I would hate to leave them, just as Flin and his classmates hated to do so.


The end was totally unexpected, it most definitely leaves you wanting for more. I was unaware until I was done reading it, that it is part of a five book series called Flin's Destiny.  I am very excited about the prospects of reading more about Flin and his classmates.  


I have found another book to share with my students, and knowing that it is a series is even better!  I highly recommend this book to everyone!!!


You need to check these out:


Book Poster page: http://cobblecavern.com/  
Publisher Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/cedarfortbooks

Click the Banner below to visit other blogs that are part of the Cobble Cavern tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...