Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday (6)


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme hosted by  The Broke and the Bookish.  Each week we are given a new theme in which to post a top ten list.   

This week: Top Ten Books That Broke My Heart A Little  (It's gonna be tough to not give any spoilers!)

  1. Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls  - I remember reading this in the 6th grade.  Great story - one sad part that brought me to tears.  The 7th graders read it in my school now.  It takes all I have not to break down when we read it in class.
  2. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson  - such a traumatic story.  A young girl so locked up in her self, after a very catastrophic event.  Wow!  This is still one of my favorites!!!
  3. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry - Our 6th graders read this as a novel unit - a Holocaust novel - need I say more (I guess it breaks my heart more than a little bit).
  4. Cinder by Marissa Meyer - mistreatment of a person is always heart breaking.  The loss that Cinder has to suffer throughout also breaks my heart.
  5. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson - Very heartwarming story in so many ways.  Another sad, tragic event that takes place.  I cry each time I read it!
  6. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton - I never thought I'd like a book about "gangs"?  Wonderful novel - again, a traumatic event that gets your heart!
  7. Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell - the ending just broke me.  I never expected Rhett's actions toward Scarlett.
  8. The Help by Kathryn Stockett - just a very sad time in our history.
  9. 11/22/63 by Stephen King - The realization that Jake Epping has in the end - was it all worth it?
  10. Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick - such a powerful novel.  A big "dumb" boy and a very little boy with a big brain - together they are Freak the Mighty.  Both boys have so many struggles to face.  I had tears throughout this book.  
This Top Ten really made me think, and it was so hard to post without giving away any spoilers.  I can't wait to look at other blog lists.

1 comment:

  1. Speak broke my heart too, and The Help. But I thought that one was very hopeful too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...