Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week we are given a new theme in which to post a top ten list.
This week: Top Ten Books That Broke My Heart A Little (It's gonna be tough to not give any spoilers!)
- Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls - I remember reading this in the 6th grade. Great story - one sad part that brought me to tears. The 7th graders read it in my school now. It takes all I have not to break down when we read it in class.
- Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson - such a traumatic story. A young girl so locked up in her self, after a very catastrophic event. Wow! This is still one of my favorites!!!
- Number the Stars by Lois Lowry - Our 6th graders read this as a novel unit - a Holocaust novel - need I say more (I guess it breaks my heart more than a little bit).
- Cinder by Marissa Meyer - mistreatment of a person is always heart breaking. The loss that Cinder has to suffer throughout also breaks my heart.
- Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson - Very heartwarming story in so many ways. Another sad, tragic event that takes place. I cry each time I read it!
- The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton - I never thought I'd like a book about "gangs"? Wonderful novel - again, a traumatic event that gets your heart!
- Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell - the ending just broke me. I never expected Rhett's actions toward Scarlett.
- The Help by Kathryn Stockett - just a very sad time in our history.
- 11/22/63 by Stephen King - The realization that Jake Epping has in the end - was it all worth it?
- Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick - such a powerful novel. A big "dumb" boy and a very little boy with a big brain - together they are Freak the Mighty. Both boys have so many struggles to face. I had tears throughout this book.
This Top Ten really made me think, and it was so hard to post without giving away any spoilers. I can't wait to look at other blog lists.